THE DEAN OF STUDENTS OFFICE: RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
At the KAG EAST University (KAGEU), the Dean of Students’ Office (DOS) is responsible for safeguarding the well-being of students in the University. It is tasked with taking care of students’ affairs and welfare. The office assists students by acting a s an official bridge to that links the student interests with those of the University’s administration.
It is an office that requires hands on work and a neutral stance that portrays care to a community that is guided by principles of justice and fairness. The office is served by an Administrator to help enhance the effectiveness of its
KAG EAST University exists to prepare students for life and ministry by providing a special environment for education and spiritual development and Leadership.
At the KAG EAST University (KAGEU), the Dean of Students’ Office (DOS) is responsible for safeguarding the well being of students in the University. It is tasked with taking care of students’ affairs and welfare. The office assists students by acting a s an official bridge to that links the student interests with those of the University’s administration.
Student Leadership (Government) domains and segments are deliberately tailor made to mitigate on the student needs that are associated with the responsibilities and tasks of the DOS’s office. The following are some of the main dockets and activities that are superintended over by the DOS’s office:
- The Graduation Ceremony (Preparation, Participation in the and running of the graduation ceremony)
- Student Orientation (Providing direction to new students on structure, functions and operations of the University for the realization of Academic and co-curricular goals)
- Student Academic well-being (Academic Trips and Advocacy on academic concerns)
- Student Financial well-being (Providing advice on HELB, and available scholarship options as well as facilitating financial aid through student Work-Study programs).
- Student Spiritual Well-being (Providing oversight for Chapel Service Management, Overnight “keshas” and Sunday Church Services)
- Student Emotional well-being (Planning for Counselling, Coaching, Mentorship and Benevolence services)
- Student Physical well-being (Ensuring that there is facilitation for Sports, Physical fitness, Health [First Aid], Meals, Accommodation and Security in the interest of the student community).
- Student Social well-being (Clubs, Entertainment & Social Trips)
- Student Discipline (Advise on administrative Policy matters on student demeanor and providing judicial process advocacy in alternative conflict resolution mechanisms).
- Student Leadership (Provides counsel on student government matters, the development and revision of student Council Constitution and allied policies & procedures, the operationalization of conflicting interests and violations on policy, adjudicates on student leadership elections, advises on the executive, legislative and judicial functions of the council and helps in developing frameworks that integrate Student leadership at all levels).
The DOS’s roles have a student focus in orientation. For effectiveness and efficiency in executing these roles, the DOS’s Office works with the students Association.
The student leadership categories are a network of academic and co-curriculum activities that are deliberately designed to inculcate community entry point skills and competencies for personal development, social and vocational proficiency. While the academic curriculum activities are generally superintended over by the Academic segment of the University’s administration, the co-curriculum undertakings and allied student leadership structures are linked directly to the superintending functions of the Dean of Students Office.
The student leadership segment of the University’s management system is designed deliberately to provide a synergy of functional partnerships between the students and the University Administration for the realization of common goals.
In this context, the students get an experience of sharing in the administration of the University. This segment equally provides a means of giving a realistic orientation in preparing students for the leadership opportunities available in the public and private sectors of the global world thus ensuring a reasonable degree of competence and relevance to the wider human community.
The Students Association (SA) is a body in the University whose membership includes the entire student body with the aim of coordinating students’ interests with those of the University administration allowing students to have a sense of ownership through participatory leadership and advocacy and to make the learning experience a source of fun. At KAGEU, the SA, is KAG EAST Students Association (KAGEUSA). KAGEUSA is led by the Students Council.